Hey Hey Hey! Can you guess what's wrong with my wrist?
...
Correct!!! It's a ganglion cyst on the sheath of my index
tendon!
I have another appointment (I missed the first one) with my Orthopedic Surgeon to see if I need it removed!
We received a new missionary from Turkey, speaking Turkish
and German for his call. His name is Elder Gülü! He's quiet, because he's learning
English and German haha, but he's super cool! The food here is bad, so fasting is
EASY and we got a fridge in our zone residence, so we keep all sorts of drinks
in there! My room got a new clock (by "got" I meant I found a clock
and put a battery in it haha). German is coming along fantastically, we taught
some TRC's Friday. The first meeting went wonderfully, our German was spot on, I understood everything! but then we got to our second meeting... so, to
premise my demise let me explain missionary goggles.
Missionary Goggles:
noun
1. a form of altered vision, due to the companionship of two
Elders and 24/7 men, that causes an Elder to oogle over Females.
I had 'em bad... and so we walk into our second appointment
and can you guess who we were teaching?
...
That's right!!! Not one, not two, but three! of the
prettiest girls I've seen in nearly 3 weeks!!! Needless to say, I lost my cool.
Elder Andrewsen took the lead (thank goodness) and I stumbled over my words. By
the end I had totally embarrassed myself through terrible German and I read the
wrong scripture. *Facepalm*
This week has been a week, let me tell you! So, quick
summary and then we'll dive in!
1. I failed a lesson and got really down on myself
2. The Lord flicked me and reminded me that I'm not alone
3. There was a death in the family.
Okay. My two new investigators are Bruder Charchighidim
(super fun to say) and Frederic.
Bruder Charchighidim moved to Germany 7 years ago with his
wife. She got baptized shortly after the move, but Bruder Charchighidim has not. After a long time in the church, Sister Charchighidim believes that her husband,
Bruder Charchighidim, is ready to accept the gospel! Our lesson with him went
off without a hitch and he committed to praying with his wife and reading the
Book of Mormon every day with her.
Frederic, is a special man. He has some pretty severe ADHD
and we failed to get him to listen, the Spirit was not in our lesson and we
didn't commit him to anything. And then later, during evaluation, my teacher
asked "Look at your purpose, did you invite him to come closer to
Christ?" I did not. I felt like a failure, how could I not have taken
control of the situation and invited the Spirit, the whole reason I'm here is to
learn how to do that right? Why did I fail? I wrestled with myself all night
and then the next day we had a district testimony meeting (our district leader
Elder Jensen is amazing). We all shared why were here, and then we all shared how
helpful it is to have such an awesome district. I get so much strength from
each and every one of these missionaries and I could not be more blessed! I
LOVE THEM! That picked me up and I realized that a large part of why I'm on a
mission is to better myself, to learn to love, to serve, to turn outward when I
want to turn inward. I'm learning as much if not more than what I'm teaching my
investigators. And that's how the Lord reminded me that I'm not alone and that I've sort of missed a part of why I'm here up and until now.
So, this is the hardest thing I've had to experience so far.
Elder M was sent home. For all of you back home, Elder
M is the giant of an elder that we had to cheer us all up. The
MTC was especially hard for him, he worked hard and made it
out here but started to suffer with depression. After a week of tests, it was determined that he should go home.... no one wanted to see him leave. We
all met him outside and gave multiple hugs... we all took pictures and then
sang "Till we meet again". It was the first time I've cried during
this whole adventure. One of our brothers was going home. It felt like a death
in the family I've come to love and cherish. Even through the hardest part of
his mission he stayed positive for us and tried to keep our spirits up, as he
always did.
He left a letter for us, it read,
"Though at times, we may feel unwanted and unneeded
remember, God and Christ want us. They always will. They've felt our pain, and
Christ suffered for us so we didn't have to. Remember this, Christ loves us so
much, so that we didn't have to feel pain for our mistakes. There's broken
families in Germany that need the Gospel to fix them. Whenever you feel down or
want to go home, pray for strength, and remember why you're here. You, with the
power of God, can save countless people. Turn outward when you're down, not
inward. Love the People, especially when its hard. Do this and you will change
the world.
D&C 124:49 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, that
when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name,
and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform
that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and
hinder them from performing that work, behold it behooveth me to require that
work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their
offerings."
Elder M"
It's hanging on the doorway to the bathroom so we can see it
every morning and every night. He is an amazing example. That scripture wholly
describes his situation. Hopefully he can find the strength to forge on in
spite of the call home. We all miss him to tears and we love him to death. I
love you Elder M. To honor his letter and to do him proud we've all
buckled down and started to prepare for Germany. We are going to "change
the world". We have the help those "broken families" need and
through the Lord, We Will Fix Them!
With love and gratitude,
Elder Fisher
(To protect the privacy of the Elder mentioned, I've omitted his name and many of the details. Suffice it to say this young man is an honorable one who was worthy to serve a mission, but has been given a medical release to return home. This can be a difficult thing for a young man and his family to deal with personally and even harder to explain to others. During two short weeks he so positively impacted my son, and the district, that his absence now feels like a death in the family. I can't think of higher praise. I hope Elder Fisher's words find their way to Elder M and his family. I hope they feel our love and prayers for them as they navigate a new course. I hope others will understand that not serving a mission often has nothing to do with worthiness or desire. Sometimes the unique struggles Heavenly Father gives to His children make them ineligible for a traditional mission, but make them uniquely qualified to serve and understand others who deal with similar trials. I have no doubt that Elder M will continue to be a strong disciple of Christ who will bless others as he blessed my son. I am grateful for him. *Andrea Fisher)
| (I love that happy face!) |
| Outside the Provo Temple |
| It's funny that the wrist was not bothered by drumming for hours every day but acts up as soon as he has to write a lot of notes. Guess he didn't work it out enough in High School |
| Chocolate Milk! Elder Fisher used to consume three+ gallons of milk each week, glad to see he can still get his fill. |
| Elder Palmer and Elder Fisher wearing one of his favorite AP Camp shirts. |
| Their "new" clock. |


No comments:
Post a Comment