Elder Fisher

Elder Fisher

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Köln ist die beste Stadt in Deutschland!!!



Guten Tag!!! Cologne is the best city in Germany!!
So!!! Crazy week! Saw some Pigeons drinking beer, while knocking doors, I saw a man in a banana sling AND I've been stared down by every Oma on the Bahn.

The flight over here was the longest day I've EVER had in my life!!! I taught the man I sat next to (Troy) He took the lesson and at the end of the flight I gave him a Book of Mormon. It was all in English. We got to the Mission home and went straight to the street display! We followed people up and down the street passing out Books of Mormon and pass along cards. The people here are quiet and reserved. Then I got called to Köln!!! The coolest city I've ever been in! We live in the southern part of the stadt, on the 14th floor of a high rise, I can see the Dom from my room!!! It is amazing, it took 700 years to build and is just as tall as the sky scrapers. On our way around the city (we take the bahn(train) EVERYWHERE) I saw two pigeons drinking beer. haha and when we went to knock doors, the 3rd door was opened by a man wearing nothing but a banana sling...

My companion had a hay day with that and nearly started busting up before the door closed hahaha. We went to DLRat (district leader meeting) the second day, and I went on splits with Elder Davis to place a Book of Mormon. We were told by some man to "Springt in der fluß!"(Jump in the river) Haha Elder Davis then told him we aren't allowed to swim :D  German is schwer (hard)... I don't know enough yet, so I can made statements but no complicated thoughts. I understand nearly everything though which is a blessing.

We went into the country and I saw the Germany I imagined, rolling hills, those white farm houses, it was beautiful. Quite a change from the loud graffiti-ed city. I met a man and his Tochter(daughter) in the park and this little girl just frowned at me the whole time. I raised my eye brows at her and she tried to mimic me, sadly she failed.

We performed service for a sister in the country and I learned like 5 new words from her daughter haha I'd just pick us a stick or a broom and ask, "wie heißt diese?" She had a lot of fun teaching the silly American the names of garden tools. haha.

We are teaching this man right now, er heißt Rahmi (his name is Rahmi), he is a refugee from Syria... He escaped to Turkey with his family, and tried to cross the Mediterranean sea in a boat which sank, all of his papers and luggage went down with it. He treaded water for 6 hours as he waited and prayed. He said to himself "If I make it out alive, Lord I will find thee." and a rescue boat saved him. He saw a white bird land in front of him and fly away and he took it as a sign from God. He came to Germany and by some miracle, anmelded his family (usually a 9 month ordeal) and himself without any paper work in a month. (Anmeldung is the process of registering yourself as a citizen in GErmany.  Anyone who stays for more than a few months, and all German citizens, must do this.)  He started to take the lessons and then moved to Köln about the same time I got here... He has committed to baptism and we are going this week to meet his family. I love this man, in fact I love all of the Germans, they are a funny, stern people who stare at you where ever you go haha. Everyone stares at us on the Bahn. Apparently it's not rude to stare.

I'm having the time of my life, and I owe it all to the Lord. Thank you so much for supporting me at home! I love you all!

-Love Elder Fisher

 **No photos this week, Elder Fisher's email was giving him trouble.  The Dom he spoke of is the beautiful Cologne Cathedral or Kolner Dom.  (Cologne is the English version of the city name Koln)   It is Germany's most visited landmark, attracting an average of 20,000 people a day, currently the tallest twin spired church at 515 feet tall. Construction of Cologne Cathedral commenced in 1248 and was halted in 1473, leaving it unfinished. Work restarted in the 19th century and was completed, to the original plan, in 1880. The cathedral is the largest Gothic church in Northern Europe.  He seems to be tired, busy and so happy!**

Beautiful Koln and the Kolner Dom

Kolner Dom

This photo is on the mission website. .frankfurtmission.com

No comments:

Post a Comment