Elder Fisher

Elder Fisher

Monday, August 8, 2016

Wherefore am I thy servant?



Hallo Familie! Wie geht's euch??

No, I already know how it goes for ya'll. I'm super happy that y'all are so happy! It does me good to hear of the blessings at home. Things are difficult here. Germany is cold and windy, the people are closed and the investigators we have can't be baptized because they are refugees. 

I LOVE my mission. This is the greatest work I have ever done, and it's also the hardest. We strive to do good work, to help people come to the Lord, and all the while we, or me this last week, I am struggling with feeling enough. I'm nervous that I'm not doing everything I can. These feelings of inadequacy are akin to Humility, but are something completely different.

There is a difference between knowing you need help and feeling helpless. And this week has been feelings of the second. Not to the extent of helplessness but feelings of inadequacy and thoughts that I'm not what the lord needs. I'm afraid that my disorganized manner allows potentials to slip through the cracks, and my studying habits leave much to be desired. I'm worried I'm too prideful, to argumentative and too critical. While writing these things a scripture comes to mind. Enoch is called to be a prophet...

Moses 6:31 
And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?

And when Jacob(Elder Fisher) had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and I am but a lad, and I'm not very focused, and I'm not organized, and I'm not a good student, and I have weaknesses, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?

And the Lord answered him and told him to "Say unto this people: Choose ye this day, to serve the Lord God who made you.
Behold my Spirit is upon you... and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore walk with me."

So I do, I choose this day to walk with him. And I focus on Feeding his sheep. And I let the atonement change me, to make my weaknesses strong. 

Wherefore am I thy servant? Because he knows who I will become. And all I have to do is Choose me this day, to serve the Lord God who made me.

Even though you are 6,000 miles away, you still help me. I love you all so much and I hope that things continue to go well <3 I miss you and love you so much!

Today for P-Day I spearheaded a plan to play Capture the Flag in the Forest. It was a lot of fun until Sister McCrary rolled and sprained her ankle. It swelled almost immediately to the size of a baseball :/ we wrapped it and helped her through the forest where we found a Dorf (village) and got her home... I feel bad as the mastermind behind running through the woods. Hopefully she recovers quickly, they receive a mini missionary in a week and have lots to do this week. 

This week was cool, we met again with Abosh and he brought one of his 9 brothers Aziz. Aziz is a little more Muslim than Abosh is so there were questions about Joseph Smith being a prophet and such but we explained with authority and power that if he would read the Book of Mormon and pray to its correctness and truth than he could know from "Al'lah" that Joseph was indeed a prophet. Al'lah is merely the Arabic word for God so we often use it when teaching refugees from Syria. Felix, that awesome Bavarian Metalhead that was interested in the Gospel got hit with a car... Satan just isn't playing fair anymore. Thankfully he escaped the ordeal with minor injuries and we are going to meet with him this week. We have a man named Kojo from Ghana that stopped us on the street and asked us how he could come to church, the Africans here are amazing!! I'll have to get Cole, I mean Elder Warners email and ask why we are getting so many of their investigators haha. We teach ALOT of Africans. Mainly those from Nigeria (my favorite) and Ghana but sometimes Cameroon.

 So in full I've taught people from 
Syria
Iran
Nigeria
Ghana
Italy
Peru
Turkey
Hungary (member)
Poland (member)
Albania (member)
My mission is super international haha and I've spoken with people from
Mexico
England
Turkey (lots of Turks... They're basically the Mexicans of Germany)
Russia
Sudan
Switzerland
Brazil
Colombia
America haha

Yeah, it's tons of fun because German only works if we are in a German Neighborhood. If we leave Leverkusen/Uni area people speak Polish, Hungarian, Albanian, Turkish (again, A LOT of Turks)

Haha but I digress, Germany is amazing. I really hope to go south this Transfer though. Köln is fantastic and I REALLY LOVE MÜLHEIM  which is Turk central+beautiful Germans and I wish I can find stuff to bring home from there :) but I want to see Feucht, Nürnburg, Karlsruhe, hopefully the Lord needs me south. Until then, LANG LEBT KÖLN LANG LEBT DIE NRW!!! 

Lieb Elder Fischer
(We don't know if the C in Fisher is intentional or the result of auto correct to the German spelling.)

No comments:

Post a Comment