Elder Fisher

Elder Fisher

Monday, November 14, 2016

I LOVE TRAINS!!



Hello! So, thankfully this week I have a computer, so it is a ton easier to email and I will definitely share more! Did zou know that on the German kez board the z and the y are switched? It makes tzping hard. haha  The temperatures inside aren't too bad, Germans got good at keeping warm, but walking around is chilly. Today, I bought some thermals to help my legs stay warm, otherwise I double up with a German knit sweater and that jacket we got at JC Penney's. Add a scarf and you've got a warm Elder Fisher!



So yeah, Hanau is SUPER different compared to Cologne! haha  I went from an international city of a million people to a tiny little suburban town surrounded by fields. Its SUPER cute though. haha So I'm having a blast! I'ts a car area so that's nice, though we don't use the car all that often. Mostly we ride the bus around city and use the car to get to Fulda, the other large town in our area. That's where all the members live and it takes them around an hour to get to church so be thankful that y'all can walk there, <3 and yeah, Hanau is very proud of that fact that the Bruders Grimm were born here. haha its written all over the signs here and what-not.


So the train deal, I LOVE TRAINS! haha They are so nice, way nicer than the buses. Basically you take all your heavy items up 3 stairs, stow them behind your seat and hope that the seat you chose isn't reserved haha. The train ride from Cologne to Frankfurt only took an hour because I was able to take the Bullet train or ICE. They are really nice. I got to Frankfurt HBf (mainstation) and was showed to my new companion, who had come to pick me up in the car. He poked his head out of the window and said "This is by far the worst first impression I have ever made..." turned out that the hour drive to Frankfurt had taken them 2 and he didn't anticipate the possibility of hitting every red light along the way. When he left, he said, he had to use the restroom, but "Now I don't" escaped his contorted grin. haha Oh man, he had wet himself along the way, but being unable to get home and change, voted to get me, and then get home as soon as possible haha. Since then, I have not had a dull day in Hanau. From blocking the road to use the restroom (and not repeat the first day)... to failing perception checks and skinning his hand and seeing the Frankfurt temple and Stake Conference, this has been the most eventful week of my mission. also, the farthest traveling, in the car alone (so less than half the time) we've traveled around 400-500 Kilometers. (have fun with the conversion neener neener ;) 

The Germans cannot stop talking about the States haha You'd think they were all citizens, they basically turned our elections into a reality TV show. Whenever they hear my American accent, they ask about my view on Trump or Hillary. This week the Mission President said that we weren't allowed to discuss it and that our response should be "Sorry, but as missionaries we are too busy to worry about the elections"  It's completely true, but still sounds funny to say.

So there were a ton of spiritual experiences this week, but I want to share two that touched my heart. First, so we went by this woman whose husband isn't a member. She made us some wonderful soup and we spoke a little about the temple. Endowments came up and her husband asked "Was sind diese Endowments? was bedeutet das?" (What are these endowments, what does that mean?")  I was a little nervous, its a sacred topic and I didnt know how to answer, but this sweet woman turned to her husband and said, "How can I explain this, an endowment is when you go into the temple and the Lord shows you who you can become." and I sat a little shocked... that was the perfect answer. That is exactly what the endowment ceremony is, our chance for the Lord to see what he can make us. Her husband was completely content with that answer and continued to listen intently to our conversation.

The second came from the Stake President. he was giving his talk Saturday night and then he said "its gotten warm in here, I see a lot of red faces and I want to get a little movement going" I thought, oh no, what is he gonna do, is this going to be appropriate for the chapel, but then he said "I would love to invite all the full time missionaries to join me here on the stand, come stand around me and behind me. We all went up to stand next to him. he then continued "sometimes we forget who these amazing young men and women are" (we stood as 14 missionaries or so) "you may look up here and see just teenagers, young, inexperienced, but those are just features you can see with your physical eyes, please open and feel with your hearts." We stood there, in front of a full stake center and the feeling was amazing... the strength of the Spirit in that room was unmistakable... 
He said "these men and women are representatives of the Lord Jesus Christ. never forget that. Look and behold who truly stands in front of you." (The mantel of Stake President fell heavy upon the man I was standing next to and his tone changed to one of authority) "Now, these men and women will be calling you, asking you to pray for them and the people they will be teaching. and you will. You will because it is the same as if the Lord Jesus Christ had said it himself."  He went on and explained many things about the mantel of a missionary and the responsibility that we hold. He spoke of the trials and the blessings and to end, he said to us "Never forget who you are." and to the members "Never forget who they are"

Then he thanked us and had us return to our seats. Is was such a powerful experience. 
Miracles are happening here in Germany. Germans are accepting the Gospel. They are repenting, accepting baptism and making covenants with their God. I have been called to be a part of this work. It will continue with or without me, such is the nature of the work of the Lord. But I do everything I can to be worthy and to be a part of it. I do all I can to be a tool in the hand of my Savior, to the salvation of those around me. I have a testimony of the redeeming power of the Atonement. I know that Jesus Christ, our older brother, has paid the price to bring us home. I know that God the Father, OUR Heavenly Father loves us. Not because we have done anything, not because we achieve anything in this life. Without Him we never could, everything we get, every breath we take comes by his grace.  But i testify, as a representative of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, that he loves us...

BECAUSE WE ARE HIS!

and that is all there is to it. WE ARE HIS, and because of this sole fact, He wants us to come back to Him. because of this FACT His work and His glory, is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of all men women and children.

I love you all, and I hope that you all read in the scriptures every day, pray to your Father in the morning and in the evening. He wants to hear from you, H's been waiting a long time to hear from you. 

I say these things with love, and hope for you in the name of Jesus Christ. I pray for you continually and look forward to seeing you on Christmas.

Elder Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment